On behalf of Hamsadhwani, we wish you and your family a very happy and wonderful 2016!
It is well known that the greatest concentration of Carnatic musicians, and most outstanding performances, are to be found in the city of Chennai. The city's sabha culture is almost taken for granted today, but how did this come to be? It started in the late 1850s, when like-minded individuals put in the time, effort, and money to organize performances. During the concert, a plate was passed around so that those who voluntarily wished to contribute could do so. Such collections were handed over to the performers in full. The resilience and reach of Carnatic music is such that history is silently being repeated. Only the setting has changed from Chennai to Southern California and the plate replaced by the Internet. Hamsadhwani, started six years ago by a group of rasikas just like each of you, has grown from strength to strength and taken a life of its own. Purandara Dasa, the pitamaha of Carnatic music, would be proud!
None of this would be possible without your support. We are pleased to announce the launch of Hamsadhwani's 2016 Fundraising Campaign!
- The campaign got off to a rollicking start on Friday, Jan 1st!
- Over the next 8 weeks, weekly emails, facebook posts, and blogs will keep you updated on the progress.
- The goal is to raise at least $12000, our budget for 2016.
- The budget covers all the concerts that have already been scheduled.
- Please note that 100% of the funds raised are used to pay for actual expenses like hall rent and artiste compensation only.
- There is no minimum, but the suggested donation is $100 per family.
- All donations will be tax exempt under code 501-(c)(3) of the IRS.
The first concert by Thanmayee Krishnamurthy, a prodigal talent, is coming up on Feb 07th. Please support your music community and young musicians. Donate online or mail a check today!
HCMA Board of Directors
Visit our website
Follow our blog
Find us on Facebook